- 2 gal Farmer's All Natural Whole Milk
- ½ tsp CaCl2 (diluted with ½ c. distilled water)
- ½ tsp Animal Rennet (diluted with ¼ c. distilled water)
- 1 packet direct-set mesophilic culture
- 1 Tbps Cheese salt
- Prepare 5 gallons of sanitizer in a bucket
- 2 Cheese clothes
- 4-Gallon stainless steel pot
- Large stainless steel slotted spoon
- Large mesh strainer
- Small mixing bowel
- Long knife to cut curds
- Cheese mold
- Put 2 gallons of milk into 4-gallon pot, add dilluted CaCl2
- Heat milk to 90°F
- 1 packet Direct-set Mesophilic culture let ripen for 45 mins.
- Add diluted rennet stir up-and-down for 1 min.
- Cover and let set for 45 min. Check for a clean break.
- Cut the curd into ½" in pieces
- Allow to rest 5 mins
- Put into sink and run 120°F water around the pot, while monitoring the temp and stirring. Ideally the, pot will come up to 100°F over 30mins, temp started at ~90°F so take it easy. A thermopen is helpful here.
- Let pot rest for 5 mins at 100°F
- Drain pot into mesh strainer lined with cheese cloth
- Hang curds in cheese cloth in a warm place for 1 hour
- Take curds down, break into walnut sized pieces and add 1 Tbs cheese salt, mix.
- Put curds in cheese press, add 10 lbs of weight, let rest for 10 mins
- Put 20 lbs of weight on the cheese press and let rest for 10 more mins
- Put 50 lbs of weight on the cheese press and let rest 12 hours
- Remove cheese from press and let set until a rind has developed 2–4 days